Monday, March 20, 2006

The Drums

Remember when Dave Chappelle did that skit on what moves the different races with John Mayer? I remember laughing at the stereotypes portrayed until I realized I too live to hear drums. I don’t know how to explain it, except to say that they move me. They move me to dance, to move my body in ways I never dreamed of, they move me to (clearing throat) dance on elevated surfaces, to let go of my inhibitions and just dance.

Dance I did, when this song came on I forgot I was on the top floor of a U St restaurant and just danced. I forgot I wasn’t in the middle of Carnival in Haiti and just danced. The drums moved me. I didn’t listen to the words being sung and just listened to the beat of the drums as they guided my body. The drums were talking to me, letting me know it’s ok to express myself, to be myself and to let go and enjoy the moment.

No comments: