Thursday, June 15, 2006

My Musical List

So many people in the blog world do a top 10 of their favorite, rappers, groups, songs and I figured it was time that I got on that bandwagon and present my own list. Although 99% of the people reading this won’t know who I’m talking about, this is my top list.

In my opinion the best French Hip Hop group out today is Saian Supa Crew. They had a concert at SOB’s in NYC last night and I missed it and am pissed! I didn’t think they would ever get to the U.S because really we’re not ready. Other then an occasional reggaeton song we don’t play any foreign language music on the airwaves on a regular basis. Saian Supa Crew is true hip hop, as I would define it as I compare them to some of the today’s hip hop artists here in the U.S and in France. None of that bling bling I drive whatever newest car is out there with rims for Saian it’s more social consciousness that drives some of their songs. They’ve got an American hip hop, funk, African, Caribbean vibe going and since I love all those things I’m loving Saian’s music. If you click on their name it will take you to their website and you’ll get a sample of the greatness.

Now on to the best of Zouk, the one and only Kassav’. They put Zouk music on the map (well the global map minus the U.S.) whenever you ask someone around the world who listens to Zouk which group started it all they’ll tell you Kassav’. I’ve been listening to them before I even consciously realized what music was and how much it would mean to me. Kassav’ is Zouk, so much so that they sell out the Zenith in Paris that makes Madison Square Garden look small whenever they perform. Once I reach big baller status, I’ll fly out there next time they have a concert. Lol!

Now the top Haitian bands I grew up listening to from the moment I could even understand what music was. When I reached an age where I could make choices I stopped listening to them as much and because of school discovered American music, R&B, Hip Hop, Rock etc, (Damm I loved the 80s), but I as I got older and reconnected with my roots I went back to listening to the greatest Haitian band of all time, Tabou Combo. Another great Haitian Kompa (type of music) star is Sweet Mickey, I saw him the one and only time I went to Carnival in Haiti and he was off the hook crazy. I’ve also seen him in concert here in D.C. and he rocked the house despite being an hour and a half late. Emeline Michel is my favorite female Haitian artist and I’ve been lucky enough to see her perform twice here in D.C. such a spectacular voice.

There are lots more but I’m done for now.

No comments: