Wednesday, November 01, 2006

America, America!

Have you ever driven or walked down a street in your town and looked at it through the eyes of a visitor? I’m doing that this week and DC looks a lot different to me; crisper, cleaner even. One of my colleagues from Arme.nia is here with a delegation of officials and since this is her first trip to the U.S. I asked her what she thought and her initial response was that it was surreal almost like a movie.

As I drive around DC I look around and see my adopted city through the eyes of my colleague and realize how great it is here. As I compare it to her home town it just reinforces what I sometimes forget when being bombarded by trivial political ads that don’t address the issues, when I realize that our politicians are spending our hard earned tax dollars on a lost cause. I realize that despite our issues we live in a great country.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is awesome isn't it? We're so lucky to be here. Like you, I never truly appreciate it until someone is visiting and I'm playing tour director. LOL!

Are ya ready to VOTE Honest? Whooooooooohooooooooooo!

Cool AC said...

I forget a lot! It's always funny when I'm driving guest around and they look at the monument in amazement. I need to make more of an effort to take advantage of the things we have here.

I can't wait till Wednesday when the commercials will go back to "normal". LOL!

Rainmayun said...

This is why, when I hear people say they will move to another country if the Republicans win another election, I think they are insane. This is the greatest country on the planet. Now, having said that, if you can afford to live in Aruba or Curacao or some other tropical idyll like that, more power to you. As for me, I am an American, and I'll stay here.

Aziza said...

When I look around and see that things are great, I think of my forefathers (slaves who never received their due) who suffered and toiled to give me the life that I have today and to not forget my history. Also, it helps me to keep my eyes on the prize for me and for my descendents.

Luke Cage said...

Nicely put miss H...

Knockout Zed said...

We are just visiting. Wipe your feet before you step on the rug.

KZ

Organized Noise said...

I'm actually doing that this weekend. I"m giving a tour of New York City to someone who just moved here. I love seeing the city from the eyes of a tourist. Makes me appreciate it even more.

Anonymous said...

HONEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHERE AREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU?

Anonymous said...

Love D.C. I would live there if I wasn't married to a "breadwinner". I have a career, but I goes where he goes, you know?