Friday, April 04, 2008

Hola Mi Amigos


?Que Tal?

I know I have no excuse for not posting but things have been a little hectic for me the last few weeks. Lots of ups and mostly downs at work and then there was that mid term that I had to power through a few weeks ago. I just returned from visiting my sister in Madrid, Spain and had a marvelous time. I am however broker then broke, if that’s possible. The US dollar has hit rock bottom and a 1 Euro = $1.63 exchange rate made things quite expensive since I had to pay for a hotel, myself and my “broke college student” little sister when out and about. I’d anticipated the exchange rate was going to hurt but didn’t realize how much so until I got there.

Madrid is such a great vibrant city and has such history and culture and not to mention the yummiest Sangria I’ve tasted in a long time. I did not however, fall in love with the food. It was good but not as great as I’d expected. I did however, have one of the best sandwiches I’ve had in a long time, French baguette bread with slices of Iberian Ham. Oh joy, now the Spanish are crazy about their pork and the ham (not like we’re used to but more prosciutto style) just melted in my mouth. Yummy!

So while in Madrid I tried and tried not to lecture my little sister too much but man oh man I wonder at times what she and her friends are thinking. I’m trying to balance giving her much needed advice and letting her make her own mistakes and boy is it hard.

13 comments:

Jdid said...

well i guess she'll live and learn but its always hard to watch people make mistakes

Beloved said...

SMDH @ the value of the US dollar.

Are you going to post some pics from your trip? You know that I live vicariously through you!

Like Jdid said, it is definitely hard to watch people make mistakes but don't stop lecturing. She and her friends may not absorb EVERYTHING you say but they'll definitely pick up a drop or two.

TJ said...

Like everybody said, it is hard to watch folks make mistakes, but it helps them grow. Don't give up on the lecturing. My younger siblings have surprised me with what they have picked up :)

AMES said...

Younger siblings do listen, so keep sharing. Her decision to spend time abroad could be related to her admiration of you.

Sounds like a bautiful trip. Now would be a great time to get paid in Euros.

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous. I've heard Madrid is nice and I'm currently trying to learn Spanish. Definitely post some pics.

The OE said...

A secret agent has been known to put the smack down regardless of venue whenever it is for the interests of National security

CreoleInDC said...

I'M SOOOOOOOO GLAD YOU HAD A FABU TIME! Younger siblings can be make you worry. *sigh*

The dollar really has me concerned.

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I wanted to go there for study abroad but w/ the declining dollar (which wasn't even as bad then as it is now) I chose Cuba b/c the program ended up being much cheaper. One day Madrid, one day.

Anonymous said...

And don't get me started on little sisters. I want to wring mines' neck on the regular! They think they will be carefree & young forever SMH.

Anonymous said...

WOW! I'm glad you're having fun in Madrid. I can totally relate to the big sister role. I try to do the same with my brother, but it's even less effective because he's a boy and I'm a girl. He's going to have to make mistakes on his own.

But I guess that's all a part of growth. Tell them when you can. Give them words of wisdom and advice so that can have that discernment, but ultimately, it's up to them to figure it out.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I didn't know until know you went to Spain. Hope you had fun there. I gotta get overseas at some point in my life.

Peace.

EJ Flavors said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, YOU!

CreoleInDC said...

Is this blog for sale?